Monday, August 14, 2006


Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge

I made the trek to the today. I left the house @8 AM; #6 train, transfer to the 4 at 14th St.; transfer to the A at Fulton,walk from the Broad Channel Station to the center. About 2 hours. Return, walk to the station, ride the A (missed my transfer) to 14th, caught a crosstown bus at 23rd, rode a 3rd Avenue bus from 23rd to 31, where I stopped at a grocery store. Returned home around 2:45, about 90 minutes total travel time.

Was it worth the trip?
I saw:
Great Egret
Great Blue Egret
Glossy Ibis
Canada Goose
Mute Swan
Snowy Goose
Osprey
Least Sandpiper
Laughing Gull
American Crow
Barn Swallow
Gray Catbird
European Starling
American Redstart
Northern Water Thrush
American Robins
Least Flycatcher
House Wren
and something near a small pool, which might be a house wren or a marsh wren or a Carolina wren or maybe a Northern Water Thrush. After reviewing my notes and consulting several bird identification guides I have decided this was a Carolina Wren. The deciding factor was the Kenn Kaufman Birds of North America. This has been a good addition to my array of birding materials.

Or a Northern Waterthrush http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Northern_Waterthrush_dtl.html
The behavior and size matches this bird, but I am not sure about the speckled breast. I wasn't focusing on that, and don't have my birding chops back yet, so can't focus on more than one thing at a time.

I like birds and trying to ID them: I never said I was an expert.

Yes,it was worth the trek. Plus they have a new facility which is delightful, particularly the restrooms, where in one finds a hand drying blower which is so powerful I had to hold on to the sink so as not to be blown away.

No comments: