Monday, August 18, 2008


I joined a birding class led by Joe Giunta at Jamaica Bay on Sunday the 17th. I added a number of birds to my life list, and I'll try to set down everything I saw from memory:
Mute Swans
Greater Yellow Legs*
Lesser Yellow Legs*
Least Sandpipers*(above)
Spotted Sandpiper*
Semipalmated Plover*
Semipalmated Sandpiper*
Willet*
Pectoral Sandpiper*
American Oyster Catcher*
Glossy Ibis
Wood Duck*
Short-billed Dowitcher*
Least Fly Catcher
Mallards
American Black Duck
Tri-colored Heron*
Yellow Crowned Night Heron
Black Crowned Night Heron
Little Blue Heron
White phase immature blue heron
Green Heron
Snowy Egret
Great Egret
Great Blue Heron
Black Bellied Plover
Common tern
Foster's Tern*
Cedar Waxwing
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Laughing Gull
Boat Tailed Grackle*
American Goldfinch
Mourning Dove
Northern Mockingbird
Osprey
Double-Crested Cormorants
In Transit:
Rock Doves
House Sparrows
40 birds, I think 14 life birds

No comments: